Insulating Your Home
A comfortable home requires an adequate amount of insulation for complete weather-proofing throughout the year. Since your ceiling and roof can be responsible for wasting up to 35% of heating or cooling, making these areas a priority is a smart idea. Read about how to install ceiling insulation.
Thermal bridging that happens within basements and crawlspaces can also result in the loss of heating and cooling energy, so making sure that your external walls are insulated in these regions of your home is also vital.
What is R-Value?
When you start shopping for insulation, you’ll notice that it’s graded by R-values. Basically the higher the R-value, the higher the level of insulation.
It’s really important to understand this before you purchase any insulation as you don’t want to under insulate or over insulate your home.
The thermal resistance rating, or R-Value, is the measure used most commonly in the building and construction industry to determine a material’s ability to resist the transfer of heat. By Knauf Insulation (makers of Earthwool).
R-Value By Location
Please note that this is a general guide that can be influenced by your building and actual location within the cities mentioned.
For Sydney, Melbourne and Adelaide a minimum would be R2.5 for external walls and R5 for roof/ceiling.
For Perth, Brisbane and Northern NSW, a minimum would be R2.5 wall insulation and R4 roof/ceiling.
Type Of Insulation:
- Bulk (blankets, batts, loose fill or boards)
- Reflective (metal foil material like aluminium)
Areas To Insulate:
- Roof & ceiling
- Windows and doors
- Underfloor (for raised timber floors)
Key Insulation Points:
- The most important parts of a home that need to insulated are the roof and ceiling.
- While often forgotten, basements and crawlspaces require insulation to prevent heat loss through the ground and the development of moisture.
- Sealing and repairing any cracks and gaps before insulating is very important.
- In tight spaces around windows and doors there is caulk and expanding foam insulation that can get into these crevices.
“A well insulated home will keep you comfortable and save you money on power bills all year round”
Buy roof and wall insulation online and get it delivered. If you have any questions, just give us a call.